Beyond the English Divide (BtED) is a nonprofit corporation determined to narrow the English divide in South Korea.
What does “English Divide” mean?
Those members of the Korean society who have more resources and connections can send their children to costly English kindergartens or study abroad, which in turn provide them with better chances at securing better jobs. In this sense, both parents and children are locked in a vicious cycle related to English, also referred to as English divide.
Nonprofit corporations such as Beyond the English Divide, Inc. have emerged to try to fight this injustice, by ensuring equal opportunities for children from underprivileged, low-income families (or orphanages) to find ways to learn English at no extra cost for them.
We are a volunteer-based organization in Seoul (South Korea), currently working in 6 volunteer learning centers located throughout Seoul (but with plans to extend to other regions of South Korea). We volunteer weekly at different locations in Seoul (and surrounding areas) and at different times (feel free to contact us for more details):
- 용산교육복지센터 (Yongsan Welfare Center)
- Address: 효창종합사회복지관 서울 용산구 효창원로 146-12 (Map)
- When? 1st Saturday of the month (2 pm to 4 pm)
- 돌산지역아동센터 (Dolsan Child Community Center)
- Address: 서울특별시 강북구 송처동 681-3 (Map)
- When? 2nd Saturday of the month (2 pm to 4 pm)
- 병점지역아동센터 (Byeongjeom Child Community Center)
- Address: 경기도 화성시 병점서로 31-6 병점동 (Map)
- When? 3rd Tuesday of the month (4 pm to 5:30 pm)
- 구로파랑새나눔터공부방 지역아동센터 (Guro Child Community Center)
- Address: 서울특별시 구로구 구로동로38길 32-0 3층 A동 구로동 (Map)
- When? 3rd Saturday of the month (2 pm to 4 pm)
- 영락보린원 (Yongrak Orphanage)
- Address: 서울특별시 용산구 후암로4길 70 (Map)
- When? 4th Saturday of the month (2 pm to 4 pm)
Who are we?
We are led and managed by Koreans and foreigners together.
However, we need to be honest: Our dream could only be accomplished thanks to the work of an amazing group of talented non-paid volunteers, who come from all backgrounds (professionals, students, etc.) and from very diverse parts of the world. Of course, without the support we receive from 강북, 서초, and 강남 Volunteering offices, nothing of what we have done could have been accomplished. Thank you very much, guys!! 😘
How to help?
We are always interested in welcoming new volunteers, as our organization is still growing (see our “How to Help” webpage if you are interested in our organization). Hopefully, we will be able to welcome you soon!